Block Deputy Training Outline
This is a summary of the steps that we expect a trainee Block Deputy (BD) to follow prior to,
and in, training sessions that will lead to certification as a BD.
- Procedure Before Training Takes Place
- Application to the Employment Office, a Block Leader (BL),
a Colony City (CoCi) Official, an application, or a referral.
- Real time (Instant Message Center/ICQ/Pager) or written (Email) interview
where the applicant will briefly express qualifications and will learn the duties and
responsibilities of the job.
- Training begins at the trainer's home. Prior to the first session the trainer will
request the establishment of both written and real time lines of communication.
Training cannot begin until a real time link is successfully set up. The trainer
may request that the trainee be able to keep a record of the session(s) either by
cutting/pasting chat text or familiarity with chat logs.
- The trainer may request that the trainee become familiar with certain background
documents (BD Guide, Blaxxun User's Guide, etc.) prior to the first session.
- Training at the Trainer's Home
The areas that may be covered include:
- Undocking/Docking Chat Windows
- Cutting/Pasting text from Chat Windows and pasting into a word processor
- Private/Whisper Chat modes
- Use of Text Logs and Text-to-Voice Features
- Changing Fonts and Text Size
- Use and Editing of Body Language/Gestures/Chat Macros
- Navigating the Help Menu
- Object Buying and Manipulation
- Items in the Options Menu
- "My Info" Link, including the Set Up and use of the Instant Message Center
- Setting Up a Homepage Link
- Setting Up Links
- Uploading an Image
- Avatar Navigation Options
- Citizen Search and Directions to Clubs
- Setting Up "Personal Information", "Inbox", and "Message" pages, including
- Use of the Calendar
- Update Functions
- Chat Default Options
- Places to go for Avatars, including Adding more WRL's
- Resident Troubleshooting
- Voting Options
- Training in CoCi
- This session, or additional sessions, will be continued ONLY if a real time link is in
place. The Team may then visit:
- Cybertown, Lands, Metaverse, Fedland Navigation
- The Plaza and Links to the Mall and Other Places
- News Center Magazine and Newspaper
- At the Fedland Map Page the trainer will explain record keeping options and make
arrangements to send the trainee a sample database of Block Residents.
- At this point the Trainer must make a decision on whether the trainee has sufficient
knowledge to be granted Access Rights. If so, the session will continue at the Access
Rights Link. If not, the trainee will return later after rereading background documents
and Chat Logs of the training sessions.
- Beyond Access Rights
- Access Rights are explained and the trainee is added.
- The Information Link is explained and the Trainee sees his/her new Title.
- The Message Link is reviewed but the trainee is requested to read past messages
- The Team follows the MIH Link and Contents are reviewed.
- The Messages To All Link is reviewed and the trainee then posts a brief "Hello to All
Residents..I am a new BD" Message.
- The Update Link is reviewed.
- The Check Images Link is explained and the trainee is requested to Upload his/her own
Image later and Check/Approve it.
- Final Arrangements
- The Team goes to the trainee's Home. The functions and limitations of the Delete Link are
- The procedures for Checking Homes is explained (
See The Block Deputy Guide).
- Customer Service, Team Training Techniques, a review of the various Help Sections, the
Constitution of the City, and the Goals of the City, Neighborhood, and Block are discussed
and follow-up sessions are scheduled on these topics.
- Finally, duties are assigned based upon the demonstrated abilities of the trainee, and
Follow Up sessions are scheduled.
Any questions, let me be your mentor. Email me